An application programming interface key (API key) is a code passed in by computer programs calling an API to identify the calling program, its developer, or its user to the Web site. API keys are used to track and control how the API is being used. To add an API key to the list you need to press Add Key as shown in the example below. You can read about the API key creation by navigating to Settings -> API Keys -> API Key creation or quickly navigating by pressing on the link here.
The icon buttons that are used in the API Keys section are explained as follows.
- Add Key lets you start creating the API key. The Key itself will be generated automatically.
- Save lets you create the API key that you were creating. If the information is filled out incorrectly then you cannot create and the information that is incorrect will be highlighted red.
- Close means that you want to cancel whatever you are creating. By pressing Close you do not get an additional pop up of asking if you want to close so the information that was input will be deleted and will not be restored so whatever you wrote you have to do it again.
- Edit lets you edit the information of the created API key.
- Delete lets you delete the created API key from the list.